Sunday, August 11, 2013

Thai Cashew Chicken for #Sunday Supper

I have a confession. Daddy F and I are obsessed with heat. I mean, we have competitions all the time to see who can eat hotter things. Habenero, Thai, even Ghost chiles....yep we are nuts. The hotter the better and we sit there and cry and sweat to our delight. Did I mention I am pretty sure we are also now poster children for peptic ulcer aggravation?



Our family has lived in a lovely little home for about a year and a half now. The first few days we lived here we didnt have all of our furniture and were forced to venture out and find places to eat. The first night we happened into this little Thai restaurant and it was the best thing ever! We ended up eating there 3 nights in a row and for the last year have eaten there about once a week. They know all our kids names and know my "regular" order. Yeah, it's an addiction. Earlier this year we hit hard times in the Fuller home and our income was scarce so eating out was no longer an option. I begged the owner to give me the recipe and she finally obliged but would not tell me her secret ingredient. So to the best of my guessing, here is the recipe we have been using and loving the last 6 months to feed our habits!

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil 
  • 2 chicken breasts thinly sliced 
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed 
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger 
  • 4 thai chiles thinly sliced (more or less for personal heat level)
  • 1 medium onion thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms thinly sliced 
  • 1 red bell pepper chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper chopped 
  •  1/4 cup dry roasted cashews
  • 1 large carrot thinly sliced 
  • 1/4 cup oyster sauce 
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock 

Directions:

Heat half of oil in wok or large pan. Stir fry chicken in small batches until cooked and browned.
Heat remaining oil in wok. stir fry vegetables until onion softens and mixture is fragrant (about 2 mins). Return chicken to wok with sauces and stock and cook until sauce slightly thickens. Serve over jasmine rice! For even more spice you can mix in hot oil by the teaspoon until the desired level of heat is achieved.

Our Ratings:


Mama F - 10 - It is one of my favorite dishes for a reason! We love the heat and cooked ours with 6 chiles and plenty of hot oil!





 Daddy F - 10 - Wow! That was so good! I am pretty sure I sweat out any toxins I may have had in my body!







 Fuller Girls - 3 - Only Middle E was brave enough to try this dish. She started to chew and then spit it out screaming and crying and then wanted her drink. The 3 rating is mostly for the laugh we got as parents after she said "it's not too hot, I will like it". We recommend omitting any spice if you will be feeding this dish to children!




 Lucky the Dog - 0 - Although she sat and did her best at begging, I was not about to give her some and then endure the aftermath of doggie indigestion at 3 am. :/




For more great recipes to spice up your life - check out these other great dishes from my fellow #sunday supper contributors!


Snappy Starters & Snacks


  • Hatch Chile, Grape & Grilled Onion Salsa from Shockingly Delicious
  • Spicy Tempeh Chips from The Urban Mrs
  • Sriracha Popcorn from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
  • Cheese, Smoked Paprika and Fennel Crackers from What Smells So Good?
  • Baked Banana Pepper Poppers from Daily Dish Recipes
  • Spicy Black Bean and Corn Stew from Mama's Blissful Bites
  • Caldo de Camaron y Pescado (Shrimp & Fish Soup) from girlichef
  • Bajia with Tomato and Chili Chutney from My cute bride
  • Buffalo Chicken {shredded} Salad from Casa de Crews
  • Baked Sriracha Potato Chips (Crisps) from Mess Makes Food
  • Smoky Salmon Chowder from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
  • Hummus with Spicy Turkish Ezme Salad from Neighborfood
  • Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppedew Peppers from Healthy. Delicious.
  • Tofu Hariyali Kebabs-(Tofu Kebabs in Cilantro Sauce) from Soni's Food

  • Fiery Main Dishes

  • Spicy Stuffed Mexican Peppers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
  • Jalapeno Popper Fettuccine Alfredo from Chocolate Moosey
  • Baked Tilapia en Escabeche from La Cocina de Leslie
  • Spicy Grilled Chicken Wings with a Chipotle Honey Dipping Sauce from Runner's Tales
  • Chorizo and Scallop Skewers from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
  • Buffalo Chicken Pizza from Cookin' Mimi
  • Thai Cashew Chicken from Doggie at the Dinner Table
  • Skillet Jambalaya from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
  • Firecracker Chicken from Juanita's Cocina
  • Cumin, Coriander and Fennel Turkey Pitas from Cook the Story
  • Aubergine and Chickpea Curry from Small Wallet, Big
  • Savory Tomato & Poblano Pie from An Appealing Plan
  • Venison Mole Rojo from Curious Cuisiniere
  • Za'atar Chicken with Fattoush from Food Lust People Love
  • Crispy Oven Fried Buffalo Chicken Tenders from In The Kitchen With KP
  • Skinny Buffalo Chicken Strips from Webicurean
  • BBQ Chicken Pizza with Poblano Peppers and Pepitas from The Wimpy Vegetarian
  • Spicy Thai Beef Salad from Magnolia Days
  • Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
  • Spicy Lemon Paprika Chicken Thighs from Family Foodie

  • Searing Sauces & Seasonings

  • Homemade Buffalo Sauce from Growing Up Gabel
  • Homemade Creole & Cajun Seasonings from The Foodie Army Wife
  • Spicy Tomato Sauce from Basic N Delicious
  • Whole grain Mustard recipe - Moutarde à l'ancienne from Masala Herb
  • Homemade Sriracha Sauce from kimchi MOM

  • Zesty Sweets & Sips

  • Cinnamon Streusel Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
  • Chocolate Chili Ice Cream (No Machine) from Gotta Get Baked
  • Habanero Cooler from My Other City By The Bay
  • Cinnamon Monkey Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
  • Cinnamon Peanut Butter Skillet Blondies with Ice Cream from Vintage Kitchen Notes
  • Goldilocks and the 3 Asian-Fusion Bars from NinjaBaking.com







  • 16 comments:

    1. At least she left you the recipe. I was about to guess if the secrete ingredient was ginger garlic but then I saw it in your ingredient list. ^.^ Anyway, your cashew chicken sounds like one heck of a treat!

      ReplyDelete
    2. It it wasn´t for heartburn there´s no saying to the amount of hot and spicy I would eat every day. Cashews, chicken and spicy, so amazing Jessica! Great to have you back!

      ReplyDelete
    3. SO glad you are back! <3 And what a dish to welcome you back!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. <3 <3 <3 Missed you Jen!! I have stayed your secret stalker all along! :)

        Delete
    4. I love dishes like this...and yes, the hotter the better!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I'm sure I'd have to tone down the heat for my family, but I, too, adore Thai food and must make this one for our family! It sounds amazing!!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Love that your recipe is from an authentic source. Interesting that they wouldn't give you the one secret ingredient but it seems you've replicated it perfectly =)

      The ratings from your family members including the furry one is super cute!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you!! Really I just changed up the veggies and the only thing I added was hot oil. Tastes the same! I think she just wanted me to believe she wasn't giving away all her secrets! ;)

        Delete
    7. I love homemade takeout! I hate to say it but my guess is probably MSG being the secret, or sesame oil

      ReplyDelete
    8. I love thai food. We too haven't had it in a while but sadly not just because of having to limit going out for financial reasons but because our favourite Thai restaurant shut down because the owner moved back home to look after her elderly mother in Thailand. I am excited to give your recipe a try.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I can't get enough Thai food either. There's a restaurant about a mile from my house and we go there often. They also know our "usual" dishes. Cashew chicken is one of my husband's usuals.

      ReplyDelete
    10. LOVE Thai and because of a number of allergies I hardly even get to have it-so excited to try this recipe.

      ReplyDelete
    11. My daughter and son-in-law love Thai so they'd like this too!

      ReplyDelete
    12. We love Thai food around here, but for whatever reason, it's always takeout.... Morgan is going to be super stoked when I make him this!

      ReplyDelete

    We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF