Tuesday, July 3, 2012

We Call it Ratatouille


Can I just say that my house smelled so amazing when I was making this?!? Well, I guess I just did. I don't know why, but I have always wanted to make this. Perhaps not always, maybe just since I saw cute little Remy making it in Disney Pixar's Ratatouille.  Either way, I was in the grocery store the other day and these little guys were calling my name.

I couldn't resist. I had to buy them cause I just wanted to squish their cute little baby eggplant cheeks! And I had everything else I needed in my garden! I love being able to go out and pick fresh what I am going to eat for dinner.


I am not sure how people normally eat this dish, maybe as a side dish? We chose to eat it over pasta! It was now an absolutely delicious chunky pasta sauce!









Ingredients:

  • 1 can (28 oz) crushed fire roasted tomatoes
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 zucchini
  • 2 yellow squash
  • 1 baby eggplant
  • 1 small red pepper
  • 1 small yellow pepper
  • 1 small orange pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375

Pour roasted tomatoes into the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan. Sprinkle garlic, onion, and red pepper over tomatoes. Slice squash, eggplant and peppers into thin circles. Layer over the tomato mixture in the patter of your choice.  Sprinkle top with olive oil, oregano, and thyme. Cook in oven for 40 mins or until edges just start to crinkle and tomatoes are bubbling.

Our Ratings:


Mama F: 9 - The flavors really mixed well together and it was beautiful to the eye.






Daddy F: 10 - Loved the freshness and knowing the family was getting a healthy, seasonal meal. Was a great chunky pasta topping!





Fuller Kids: 8 - Although they were a but hesitant at first with all the veggies on their plate, after trying it it got the 4 thumbs up!





Lucky the Dog: 4 - Smelled good. Fooled. Needs sausage.

3 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful. what a perfect vegetarian meal, I love it. Happy th of July to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Gorgeous colours, healthy and bet it's delicious served on pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently discovered that I like eggplant (thanks to my local farmers' market) and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF