Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fire Roasted Tomato and Basil Sauce

Normally this time of year I would be eating copious amounts of beef and potato stew but for some reason all I have on the brain is light, fresh dishes.  I don't mind, I have been loosing weight! Well, kinda. It has been being distributed to other areas, but still, I haven't gained any weight and I am A OK with that!!



I was fortunate enough in my younger pre Mama years to live in London, England and get to travel quite a bit of Europe. I loved, loved, love going to Italy and sitting on a patio and having fresh pasta and sauce. The sauce was always so light and yet managed to have such amazing flavor. The secret is in the freshness of the ingredients and especially using the fresh herbs.



I have to admit that this recipe kinda happened by accident. I had bought some fire roasted tomatoes because I was intending to make some enchilada sauce (which I will still eventually get around to, don't you worry!) but then I just had this flash back memory of Italy and needed some pasta. I thought I just had plain ole crushed tomatoes, but no. So I just decided to run with it. What a lucky mistake! This was soooooo tasty I can't wait to eat it again tomorrow!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 5 garlic gloves, minced
  • 2 cans crushed fire roasted tomatoes 
  • 3 tablesoons chopped, fresh basil
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional if you like spicy like me!) 
  • salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium low heat. Add diced onion and garlic and cook until fragrant and the onion becomes translucent. Add in remaining ingredients. Continue to heat over med low until flavors are well blended, about 30 mins. Serve over fresh pasta and top with grated Parmesan and basil leaves. Can be kept in fridge in air tight container for up to 5 days or frozen. (I think its even better the next day after the flavors have been mingling longer!)

Our Ratings:


Mama F:  10 - I loved the simple freshness of this dish and the spice that sneaks up on you at the end of each bite!





Daddy F: 10 - Light, simple, and delicious.






Fuller Kids: 8 - Because I know they are not fans of spice I made them their own batch without the crushed red pepper. They really enjoyed it and I enjoyed bathing the baby afterwards! What a mess!




Lucky the Dog: 3 - Too spicy for doggies, needs meatballs.

Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays
Find this and other great recipes here

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love the crushed red peppers in this, but would also have to leave those out of some of the sauce for my little one. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF